Planning For Retirement
So you want to retire. Weather you are an employee or a business owner you need to know your options.
People who are employees want to know how to best use their savings and access the most tax-preferred ways of collecting an income.
Most business owners have much more to consider. They start their company thinking about what they want to accomplish and how they will do it. Very few owners think about what happens when they are ready for retirement.
There are lots of questions associated with slowing down.
- How can I best pay myself in retirement?
- Are there tax strategies available to better use my money?
- Do I want to sell my company?
- Who will buy my company?
- Can I split my company between my children?
- What happens if one child is interested in the business and the other is not?
- Do I qualify for the capital gains exemption?
- Should I look at a family trust or an estate freeze?
- How can I minimize the cost of Capital Gains Taxes to my estate?
We can help with these questions. In many cases, we also need lawyers or accountants to help. We will assist you through the process and if necessary, we will introduce you to the right people to see you through.
There are many tax preferred methods of removing money from your active corp. or holding company that are available. These can include:
- Annuities – Can be structured to return cash to your family as part of your estate
- Permanent Insurance Policies – allow for tax sheltered investment returns
- Guaranteed Minimum Withdrawal Policies – guarantee a minimum return on your investment and minimum income for life
- Individual Pension Plans (IPPs). These are for people who have maximized their RRSP and want to take advantage of this type of structure to a much greater degree.